Want to use GPS tagged clock in? Should you select distance from site or accuracy? Can some staff but not all clock in using GPS?
Ento has two settings that work with GPS for clocking in and out.
Accuracy is the original feature that records the GPS location of the staff member clocking in or out. When reviewing timesheets, the coloured GPS icon indicates if a location was captured.
When set to Accuracy:
- Green indicates the location was successfully captured. Clicking on the green icon will show the staff member's recorded location
- Yellow indicates the location was indeterminate (may be due to difficulty with mobile service, or pinpointing actual location).
- Red indicates the location could not be captured (often due to location services not enabled or revoked for the Ento Employee app). If clicking on the red icon will not show the GPS location, see GPS troubleshooting at bottom of this page to resolve.
Distance from location
Distance from location records the GPS location of the employee clocking in or out and compares the employeess recorded location (if available) with the address of the employees scheduled shift. When reviewing timesheets, the coloured GPS icons indicates if a location was captured or not, and if that location is within the limits of the the location for the shift.
When set to Distance from area:
- Green indicates the location was successfully captured, and is determined to be within the limits of the location for that shift.
- Yellow indicates the location was over 100m from the location of the shift.
- Red indicates the location could not be captured (often due to Location Services not enabled or revoked for the Ento Employee app). Clicking on the red icon will either not show the GPS location, or will show that the captured location is outside of the accepted boundaries for the shift location which is 100m (see GPS troubleshooting at bottom of this page to resolve)
Viewing the map information
When clicking the coloured GPS icon, a map showing the following information will load.
- The red pin shows the GPS location that was captured.
- The grey/blue circled area shows the accuracy radius
- The dark blue home icon shows the shift location
Setting up GPS clock in / out
Update Company settings
Once you've decided on which GPS method to use, go into Settings > Company settings > Time & attendance and check the GPS tagged employee clock in / out box, then Save.
Update Employee permissions profile
Once you have turned on GPS tagged clock in / out in Company Settings, go to Settings > Employee permissions and select the profile of the employees you want to be allowed to clock in and out on their mobile devices and edit. The option is available under the Time & attendance tab, along with an option to require them to have enabled location services or not.
Once turned on, employees will see a Clock in and a Clock out button for their shift for that day in the Ento Employee app or the Ento Staff area in a web browser.
- First check that GPS tagged employee clock in / out box is enabled in Company Settings (to check the company settings are configured correctly, read the Company settings article)
- Next check that the employees permission profile allows GPS clock in / clock out
- If both of the above are configured correctly, the most common issue with GPS clock in and out is employees not having Location Services enabled for the Ento Employee app. When reviewing timesheets, if an employees GPS icon is showing red and no location displaying when clicked, have employees follow these steps:
- Check Location Services are enabled for their phone (for iPhones this is in Settings > Privacy and Location Services should be On)
- Next confirm that Location Services are enabled for the Ento Employee app.
- If not, have them reinstall the Ento Employee app, and the next time the employee uses the app to CLOCK IN, make sure employees know they will need to allow Ento to access their location while they are using the app.